Answering Questions

  • Read each question carefully.
  • When you answer a question, your answer will automatically be saved.
  • You can revisit questions and change your answers at any time during the exam.
  • The only permitted characters for numerical answers are:
    • Numbers
    • One full stop as a decimal point if required
    • One minus symbol at the front of the figure if the answer is negative.

              For example: -10234.35

No other characters, including commas, are accepted.

Navigating between questions

  • Click Next Button to move to the next question.
  • Click Previous Button to move back to the previous question.
  • Click on a question number from the Exam Progress Details panel (see next page) to move directly to that question.
  • A message will be displayed when you click to move away from a question which has been partially attempted. You can choose to stay on the question and review your answer(s) or continue.
  • When reviewing your answer(s) for partially attempted questions ensure you read any message displayed in red text below the question in Section A or below the question
    part(s) in Section B
    .

Pangli Co (Mar/Jun 17)

It is the middle of December 20X6 and Pangli Co is looking at working capital management for January 20X7. Forecast financial information at the start of January 20X7 is as follows:

Inventory

$455,000

Trade receivables

$408,350

Trade payables

$186,700

Overdraft

$240,250

All sales are on credit and they are expected to be $3.5m for 20X6. Monthly sales are as follows:

November 20X6 (actual)

$270,875

December 20X6 (forecast)

$300,000

January 20X7 (forecast)

$350,000

Pangli Co has a gross profit margin of 40%. Although Pangli Co offers 30 days credit, only 60% of customers pay in the month following purchase, while remaining customers take an additional month of credit.

Inventory is expected to increase by $52,250 during January 20X7.

Pangli Co plans to pay 70% of trade payables in January 20X7 and defer paying the remaining 30% until the end of February 20X7. All suppliers of the company require payment within 30 days. Credit purchases from suppliers during January 20X7 are expected to be $250,000.

Interest of $70,000 is due to be paid in January 20X7 on fixed rate bank debt. Operating cash outflows are expected to be $146,500 in January 20X7. Pangli Co has no cash and relies on its overdraft to finance daily operations. The company has no plans to raise long-term finance during January 20X7.

Assume that each year has 360 days.

Required

A. 
(i) Calculate the cash operating cycle of Pangli Co at the start of January 20X7.
(ii) Calculate the overdraft expected at the end of January 20X7.
(iiI) Calculate the current ratios at the start and end of January 20X7.
B. Discuss FIVE techniques that Pangli Co could use in managing trade receivables.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *